Kenora & District Chamber of Commerce Charitable Donation Policy
Each year the Board of Directors will set a donation budget for the upcoming year. The Kenora & District Chamber of Commerce has a limited ability to fund donation requests for projects and events. Our stated mission revolves around promoting and bettering our retail, commercial and other businesses, to create a better economy for the community. We have created these policies and criteria as a guide for those interested in making requests for donations. All projects must fit within our scope of purpose and adhere to our Mission.
The Kenora & District Chamber of Commerce is organized to promote business activity and economic development in Kenora and the surrounding area.
CHARITABLE DONATION REQUEST CRITERIA
1. The Chamber will not consider donation requests for the following:
- For-profit businesses (unless it will benefit a large percentage of membership & community)
- Religious organizations
- Political candidates, parties or organizations
- Reoccurring events
- Operating expenses
- Reimbursement of funds already expended
2. Donation requests will not be approved that the Board deems to be contrary to the Chamber bylaws or not representative of the mission of the Chamber.
3. Consideration of donation requests will be based on our annual funding availability for current year projects. No multiyear requests will be considered. Maximum annual request is $1,000.
4. Applicants requesting donations should complete a Charitable Donation Application Form. The donation request form must be completed fully for all donation requests and must be received at the Chamber office no less than 20 calendar days before funds are needed.
5. Any organization submitting a donation request on letter head will be contacted by an Executive Director and asked to fill out the proper form.
6. Funding requests will only be considered for those organizations with a Federal Tax ID number (see application).
DONATION REQUEST REVIEW AND DECISION-MAKING PROCESS
- The Executive Directors will screen all donation letters, applications and attachments to determine whether they meet the Chamber’s criteria.
- Donation requests that meet the criteria will be forwarded to the Board of Directors.
- Donation requests which appear to further the agenda of the Chamber and the local business community will receive preferred consideration, as will requests made by Chamber member organizations.
- Weight will be given to requests that have longer-term benefits to the community.
- The Chamber Board of Directors will vote on all donation requests.
- Approval of donation requests will require a simple majority of the votes tallied. A tie vote will be deemed a negative vote.
- Approved donations will be funded by cheque within 10 business days, or following review stipulated in the “Conditions” section of this policy. Donation cheques will be issued to the name of the organization making the request and will not be issued to an individual.
- Donations will be conditional on the recipient’s willingness to specify how the Chamber funds will be spent and a project/event budget provided.
- A summary of the organization’s mission and how their project/event will advance the civic and economic efforts in Kenora and the surrounding area must be attached to the application.
- Public acknowledgment of donation must be made by either using the Chamber logo on printed materials/fliers or with the following language: “This program/project/event was made possible with funding from the Kenora & District Chamber of Commerce.”
- Funds are to be used only for the stated purpose.
- Donated funds are given with the expectation that funds will be expended within three (3) months of receipt.
- Events or Projects must not discriminate against any gender or race.
KENORA & DISTRICT CHAMBER OF COMMERCE CHARITIBLE DONATION REQUEST FORM
The Kenora & District Chamber of Commerce has a strong tradition of supporting local community charities and nonprofit events. We are committed to the advancement of the economic and civic development of the community. If your group has a charitable purpose or is planning an event that mirrors our commitment to advancing business efforts in Kenora and the surrounding area. Please complete the following: Kenora & District Chamber of Commerce Charitable Donation Request Form.
Application forms can be submitted to our office located at 101 Park Street, mailed to P.O. Box 471, Kenora, ON P9N 3X5 or faxed to (807) 468-3056.
The Kenora & District Chamber of Commerce has a limited ability to fund donation requests. Our stated mission revolves around promoting business activity and economic development in Kenora and the surrounding area and all projects must fit within our corporate scope of purpose and adhere to our mission.
Click below to download and fill out the Kenora & District Chamber of Commerce Charitable Donation Request Form.